SG Digital (part of Scientific Games Corp.) leads the global gaming market, providing innovative software that powers the world’s most successful operators and online gaming providers.
We pride ourselves on product innovation and technical excellence and are constantly adding new applications and new functionality to our product suite, used by billions of end users. Having recently become the Digital, online Division of the $4bn Scientific Games, we are now in a period of dramatic growth that will see us grow headcount by 30% this year alone.
Want to be part of our story?
We are a group of distributed multidisciplinary engineers, passionate about casino gaming, focused on a few highly scalable distributed platforms on a hybrid technology stack running in public and private clouds.
The Technical Lead role will be a key one for the SGD product development teams. A Technical Lead will be working alongside other Technical Leads, Development Managers, Programme and Project Managers, Software Architects and Senior Software Engineers in order to shape and implement the technology and people vision of the team that will drive forward SGD's Sportsbook and Casino platform initiatives.
The SGD product teams are more aggressively adopting newer technologies, architectural principles and approaches to deployment and monitoring. The Technical Lead will be critical to ensure these are utilised appropriately and with rigour, whilst delivering the stability and performance that the SGD platforms have become synonymous with over time. The Technical Lead will be expected to actively contribute to the overall technical strategy for new projects.
A "can do" attitude and out-of-the-box thinking will be prerequisites!
- Ensure high morale and standards on the team (accountability, ownership and trust)
- Effectively communicate across a global organization on initiatives, projects and roadmaps
- Development of new features and functionality for SGD products and services, including the production of unit tests as and where required
- Active participant in reviews for products and services delivered across the wider SGD team
- Ensuring code quality is maintained for products and services delivered by the team the Engineer is working with
- Ensuring that products and services adhere to agreed performance KPIs and are delivered in line with SGD pipeline requirements
- Ensuring that all products and services have agreed levels of test coverage, in line with SGD requirements and adhering to agreed architectural and technology (including security) standards
- Review of detailed release documentation for handover to "BAU" teams
- Maintenance of relevant technical sections of the internal Knowledge Base
- Lead and mentor engineers of varying levels for career development and progression
- Build and maintain a long-term vision and a technical roadmap
- Constantly review code to ensure for best practices and quality
- Lead proof of concept efforts
- Active understanding of solutions architecture and design, including KPI definition
- Ability to input into high level estimates of software deliverables for planning purposes
- Supporting the Development Manager, Senior Software Engineer and Head of DevOps to ensure continuous quality improvement in the development teams
- Proactively identify and address areas of material improvement, notably around performance, security and scalability
- Where applicable, ensuring that development team processes are aligned with technical processes prevalent in the wider company
- Ensure that all team members have a clear understanding of the overall system architecture and design components, in the context of meeting product requirements
- Knowledge of Agile development processes and scrum roles and responsibilities
- On occasion, lead an Agile workstream
Knowledge & Experience
- Experience managing software engineers
- Experience working in and being a proponent of an agile development environment
- Solid foundation of software design principles
- Experience working in a global team with coworkers from different culture is desirable
- A Bachelor's degree (1st or 2:1) in a traditional science subject, ideally computer science, engineering or information systems from a well regarded university
- At least 5 years of experience developing commercial Python applicationsGood understanding of the use of Docker, Ansible, Maven, Jenkins, Sonar and Git (BitBucket)
- Ability to document technical solutions in a variety of formats and to constructively share knowledge with less experienced team members
- Ability to learn and critique new technologies quickly
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including presentations to peer groups
- Excellent teamwork skills, capable of supervising a small sub team or deputising in a management role
- Demonstrably being able to deal with change on a daily basis; must be comfortable both with external factors driving this change as well as internal
Technical skills of relevance:
- Very strong in Python, with knowledge of at least one Python web framework as Django.
- Familiarity with some ORM libraries.
- Some hands-on experience in designing applications using the actor model
- Strong unit test and debugging skills
- Knowledge of Relational Databases
- Experience with TDD and / or BDD
- Good understanding of the use of Docker, Ansible, Maven, Jenkins, Sonar and Git (BitBucket)
- Strong understanding of various database technologies.
- Understanding of the threading limitations of Python, and multi-process architecture.
- Understanding of accessibility and security compliance.
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools (GIT).
- Knowledge of the Django Framework for REST API presentation (with Celery, Redis, RabbitMQ)
- Familiarity with basic DevOps tools, eg. Vagrant, Ansible, Docker.
- Familiarity with UNIX operating systems.
- Knowledge of relational databases (eg. MySQL, PostgreSQL)
- Experience in working with AWS
Domain knowledge is not required, but having worked on a Sportsbook, Casino or eCommerce projects would be preferable.
Why would you enjoy working with us at SG Digital?
- Competitive benefits, an open and supportive environment as well as a modern and exciting workplace
- The opportunity to interact with global teams on a regular basis and the possibility to switch teams and projects as you and our business continues to develop and grow
- Tangible and genuine development - at SG Digital, you can take your career where you want it to go!
- Exposure to real work, business-critical projects and the chance to develop some of the world’s leading e-commerce products whilst working on exciting client projects and interact with lots of code!
And if that’s not enough; you will get to enjoy a stunning work location and flexible working whilst we provide you with the guidance and development skills you need to progress quickly and enhance your career.