Technical Development Manager
Scientific Games Corporation (NASDAQ: SGMS) is a world leader in gaming entertainment offering the industry's broadest and most integrated portfolio of game content, advanced systems, cutting-edge platforms and professional services. The company is #1 in technology-based gaming systems, digital real-money gaming and sports betting platforms, casino table games and utility products and lottery instant games, and a leading provider of games, systems and services for casino, lottery and social gaming. Committed to responsible gaming, Scientific Games delivers what customers and players value most: trusted security, engaging entertainment content, operating efficiencies and innovative technology
At SG Digital we have 1,250+ employees (including 600+ engineers and developers) and over 200 customers. We currently provide our technology to customers across the globe. Our head office is in Las Vegas with principal offices in London, Stockholm, Athens, Sydney, Montreal and Chicago, as well as 27 other offices world-wide.
Our software platform is built on a fully-flexible system that is deployable within the international gaming industry. It supports all parts of our customers’ business (interactive, mobile, and social networks). Our content platform has approximately 750 proprietary and over 900 third-party supplied lottery, bingo, and casino games developed to address the multi-channel content and distribution strategies of our customers. Our software platform supports online interactive game play and enables the deployment of software applications for casino, lottery, bingo, poker, mini-games, and social games over web-based, tablet/mobile, and social media applications.
Our solutions are designed to provide a complete account suite with full back-office capabilities, including tournaments, bonuses, affiliates, campaigns, data warehouses, and data mining across multiple products, all while providing players with community and social media-based entertainment content to maximize their playing experience.
As a Technical Development Manager, you will be involved in driving a combination of agile best practices and technical leadership on high performing digital teams at SG Digital. Delivering simple yet industry leading, scalable solutions within timelines and to exceptional quality to delight our customers.
Driving the vision, this role will motivate and empower 2-3 Development Teams to take ownership using best in class agile development practices and methodologies. They will develop a strategy for the team to meet responsibility for creating scalable product solutions that run on our leading edge online casino platform plan and monitor the successful implementation of our strategy
- Drives combination of technical leadership and agile best practices on team
- Performance management of 2-3 feature teams, 10-15 people
- Provides technical leadership and hands on development:
- Provides though partnership with business and product owners in translating high value business ideas into beautiful and innovative software solutions
- Provides technical excellence and leadership on team to ensure quality first mind-set, simple architecture and highest code quality
- Writes great software adhering to agile software engineering practices (e.g.,DRY principles, TDD, continuous integration, automated tests, etc.)
- Communicates with business unit owner to enable an aligned, achievable development roadmap
- Drives the agile best practices:
- Facilitates best practices (e.g., daily stand-up, agile planning, reviews, retrospectives, etc.) to ensure team health and team transparency
- Supports communication of the product vision, proactively identify and remove impediments and shelter the team from distractions
- Promotes healthy team environment, removes team/cross team impediments and ensures agile best practices
- Establishes and measures agile team performance, quality metrics
- Identifies areas of continuous improvement and drive execution of changes
- Oversees effective development estimations across teams to drive realistic delivery timescales, enabled by transparent team velocity measures
- Creates an inspiring environment for development teams
- Sets and achieves challenging development quality standards
- Architect, build and maintain functionality for our next generation casino platform
- Manage and contribute to technical end-to-end delivery of projects
- Become a primary point of contact for and maintain strong relationships with both external and internal customers
- Support the recruitment process of technical resources
Responsible for: Ownership for management of a squad and software quality and delivery assigned to it. Mentoring team members and building a healthy productive culture.
Liaison with: The role will interact directly with the Development managers, QA Lead, project managers, product managers, architecture and other team members.
- Proven leadership capabilities Experience of performance management to drive high performing teams
- that drives team engagement and produces high quality development deliverables.
- Problem solver with a pragmatic evangelist approach to drive the spirit required in a fast paced digital space.
- Experience designing and building large applications that scale to 10,000s+ requests per second
- Expert in writing and deploying large scale codebases with significant experiences in building/maintaining continuous integration and deployment environments (e.g., Chef/Puppet, Jenkins, Cruise Control, etc.)
- Significant experiences of both server and client side
- Strong background in test driven development, automated testing and other software engineering best practices (e.g., http protocols, caching, performance, security, etc.)
- Significant experiences developing RESTful API services and using both relational and non-relational data stores
- Experience in Event streaming technologies (Kafka, active MQ, Kinesis)
- 8+ years of general programming experience (e.g., Java, .NET, C#, Ruby, etc.)
- Expert knowledge and experiences with agile values, principles and practices include Scrum, XP and Kanban:
- Agile best practices (e.g., daily stand-up, agile planning, reviews, retrospectives, etc.) to ensure team health and team transparency
- Promoting healthy team environment, removing team/cross team impediments and ensuring agile best practices
- Measuring agile team performance, quality metrics and leveraging to continuously improve and increase team velocity
- Product owner and UX practices (e.g., storyboarding, wireframes, product backlog grooming, user story definitions, acceptance criteria, etc.)
- Excellent communication skills, both written and spoken
- Experience interacting with customers, external partners and business stakeholders
- Knowledge of enterprise integration patterns
- Experience of Cloud (AWS, Azure, GCP etc)
- Curiosity to maintain cutting edge knowledge of current and emerging technologies.
- Ability to communicate Long-term vision and ability to anticipate future business needs.
- International experience, having developed functions with a global customer experience.
- Excellent leadership skills and passion for teaching / mentoring others
- Ability to lead self-organizing teams and drive change through influence
- Enjoys and gets energized by complex problem solving and ability to push the innovation on solutions
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to influence senior business and IT executives on agile culture and best practices
- Ability to move between strategic discussions with senior IT/business leaders to tackle on the ground agile coaching with teams
- Well organized and consistently meets commitments.
- Comfortable leading cross functional teams.
- Happy challenging the status quo