Software Engineer (Java)
OpenBet leads the global gaming market, providing innovative software that powers the world’s most successful operators.
We pride ourselves on product innovation and technical excellence and are constantly adding new applications and new functionality to our product suite, used by billions of end users. And, while many other companies have been downsizing, we continue to see growth across our business.
Want to be part of our story?
The Software Engineer (Java) role will be a key one for the OpenBet Portal Projects. Reporting to a Dev Lead, the Java Software Engineer will be working alongside other Software Engineers, Project Managers, Scrum Masters, Product Owners, QA, Software Architects and Operational Excellence in order to shape and implement the technology and product deliverables that will drive forward this strategic initiative.
- Development of new features and functionality for Product Engineering products and services, including the production of unit tests as and where required;
- Ensuring code quality is maintained at a high level for products and services delivered by the team the Software Engineer is working with;
- Understanding of solutions architecture and design, including KPI definition;
- Ability to input into planning sessions for sprint planning and sprint retrospectives;
- Escalate issues in areas of material improvement, notably around performance, security and scalability;
- Develop a clear understanding of the overall system architecture and design components, in the context of meeting product requirements.
Knowledge & Experience
- A Bachelor's degree in a traditional science subject, ideally computer science, engineering or information systems from a well regarded university;
- At least 2 years experience developing commercial Enterprise Java applications;
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including presentations to peer groups;
- Excellent teamwork skills within a scrum team environment
- Able to deal with changing priorities within a large programme;
- Able to take direction from senior team members including, BA’s QA’s and software architects;
- Experience in exposing and consuming RESTful APIs
- A good understanding of relational databases, SQL and ORM technologies (JPA2, Hibernate etc.)
- Demonstrable experience in developing for large distributed systems, for example using (preferably) DDD or SOA and ideally also a central ‘broker’ (such as Kafka or an ESB).
- Some experience in use of Spring Boot, graphQL and Kafka.
- Experience in the use of Docker, Ansible, Jenkins, and Git (BitBucket).
- Experience with cloud providers, ideally AWS.
Domain knowledge is not required, but having worked on major eCommerce or any significant widely distributed system is.
Why would you enjoy working with us at OpenBet?
- Competitive benefits, an open and supportive environment as well as a modern and exciting workplace
- The opportunity to interact with global teams on a regular basis and the possibility to switch teams and projects as you and our business continues to develop and grow
- Tangible and genuine development - at OpenBet, you can take your career where you want it to go!
- Exposure to real work, business-critical projects and the chance to develop some of the world’s leading e-commerce sportsbooks whilst working on exciting client projects and interact with lots of code!
And if that’s not enough; you will get to enjoy a stunning work location and flexible working whilst we provide you with the guidance and development skills you need to progress quickly and enhance your career.