Senior Frontend Engineer
SG Digital leads the global gaming market, providing innovative software that powers the world’s most successful operators.
We pride ourselves on product innovation and technical excellence and are constantly adding new applications and new functionality to our product suite, used by billions of end users. And, while many other companies have been downsizing, we continue to see growth across our business.
Want to be part of our story?
The Senior Frontend Engineer (UI) role will be a key one for the SG Digital Portal Consolidation Project. Reporting to a L4 Senior Software Engineer, the Senior UI Software Engineer will be working alongside other Software Engineers, Project Managers, Scrum Masters, Product Owners, QA, Software Architects and Operational Excellence in order to shape and implement the technology and product deliverables that will drive forward this strategic initiative.
These are just some of the tasks you may work on:
- Work as part of a self-organising SCRUM team to develop new features and functionality for high volume, large scale betting websites;
- Ensuring that UI features and functionality adhere to the agreed corporate and product UX standards and design guidelines;
- Mentorship of less experienced Software Engineers;
- Work with Product Owners and designers to create a great UX to the platform end-users;
- Proactively identify and address areas of material improvement, notably around UI performance and code complexity;
- Supporting the Development Manager, Tech Leads and Head of Operational Excellence to ensure continuous quality improvement in the development teams;
- Ability to act as a tech lead for a scrum team, working along the Scrum Master and the Product Owner to define features and oversee their development.
Knowledge & Experience
- A Bachelor's degree (1st or 2:1) in a traditional science subject, ideally computer science, engineering or information systems from a well-regarded university
- At least 4 years of experience developing commercial web applications
- Ability to document technical solutions in a variety of formats and to constructively share knowledge with less experienced team members
- Ability to learn and critique new technologies quickly
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including presentations to peer groups
- Excellent teamwork skills, capable of supervising a small sub team or deputizing in a management role
- Demonstrably being able to deal with change on a daily basis; must be comfortable both with external factors driving this change as well as internal
- Experience in contributing to and influencing technical strategic planning or responsibility for a technical strategy
Technical skills of relevance:
- At minimum of 4 years of hands-on experience developing commercial, large-scale web application
- Extensive and demonstrable experience understanding of:
- Web markup, including HTML5, CSS3
- Server-side CSS pre-processing platforms, such as LESS and SASS
- Asynchronous request handling, partial page updates using internet data protocols and services (RESTful/JSON, SOAP, WS-*, HTTP)
- Extensive understanding of general UX principles for web applications, including responsive and adaptive design principles
- A good understanding of SEO principles
- General understanding of the use of Docker, Ansible, Jenkins and Git (Stash)
- Some knowledge of Relational Databases, SQL and ORM technologies (JPA2, Hibernate etc.)
- Familiarity with tools such as as Gimp or Photoshop
- Experience with LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) website design
- Familiarity with Drupal 8 or any other common internet PHP based CMS
- Some experience with Node.js
- Some experience with TDD and / or BDD
Domain knowledge is not required, but having worked on major eCommerce or any significant widely distributed system is.
Why would you enjoy working with us at SG Digital?
- Competitive benefits, an open and supportive environment as well as a modern and exciting workplace;
- The opportunity to interact with global teams on a regular basis and the possibility to switch teams and projects as you and our business continues to develop and grow;
- Tangible and genuine development - at SG Digital, you can take your career where you want it to go!
- Exposure to real work, business-critical projects, and the chance to develop some of the world’s leading e-commerce sportsbooks whilst working on exciting client projects and interact with lots of code!
And if that’s not enough; you will get to enjoy flexible working whilst we provide you with the guidance and development skills you need to progress quickly and enhance your career.