Scientific Games Corporation (NASDAQ: SGMS) is a world leader in gaming entertainment offering the industry's broadest and most integrated portfolio of game content, advanced systems, cutting-edge platforms and professional services. Scientific Games’ digital arm - SG Digital is a trusted partner to the world's most powerful iGaming, iLottery and Sports Betting brands. From our world leading sports betting technology to our in-house game studios and broad partner network of third party suppliers, we offer customers the widest portfolio of content available across our OpenSports and OpenGaming platforms.
At SG Digital we have 1,600+ employees (including 900+ engineers and developers) and over 200 customers. We currently provide our technology to customers across the globe. Our head office is in London with over 20 offices across the globe spanning EMEA, APAC, and North America.
Leading the charge in the sports betting arena, SG Digital’s OpenSports product suite offers end-to-end sportsbook solutions to partners of all sizes in regulated jurisdictions. Covering every aspect of sports betting, OpenSports allows operators to pick and choose the tech pieces they need to build a long-term viable product.
SG Digital’s Sports group seeks a skilled attorney to join its Legal Department as Senior Counsel. Reporting to the General Counsel for the Digital Sports group, the Senior Counsel will focus on drafting and negotiating commercial contracts to support the group’s digital sports betting products and services and, depending on background and experience, will manage or assist with one or more additional legal function(s) such as mergers and acquisitions, employment, corporate governance and/or litigation. The position requires the ability to spot and analyze legal issues, present positive, creative solutions, and advise management of risks, as well as the ability to motivate and work well with the other members of the Legal Department.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
· Drafting and negotiating commercial agreements, with a focus both on customer and supplier software licensing agreements.
· Maintaining and revising template agreements as required in light of changes in applicable law, Company policies and other considerations.
· Providing advice and support to business partners in business development and retention.
· Identifying and mitigating commercial, legal and regulatory risks, including data privacy and security.
· Developing relationships with internal partners and external customer and supplier contacts to support Company initiatives.
· Depending on background/experience:
o Coordinating and managing mergers and acquisitions activity, including due diligence, negotiation of definitive documentation and management of outside counsel.
o Advising on labor and employment law issues, including hiring, leave and accommodation, discipline and termination of employees, compensation and benefits and data privacy.
o Drafting and advising on corporate governance matters, including entity management, director materials and securities compliance.
o Manage threatened and pending litigation, including supervision of outside counsel and negotiation and resolution of pre-litigation claims.
Education and Bar Membership:
· Juris Doctorate required.
· Current member in good standing, or registered in-house counsel, with the bar of at least one U.S. state.
- At least six years of relevant experience at a national law firm, in-house at a comparable company, or some combination thereof.
- Significant expertise with negotiation and drafting of commercial contracts, ideally with a focus on sports betting or software licensing.
- The ideal candidate with also have expertise in transactional and corporate work, employment law and/or litigation.
- Experience with gaming regulatory law is desired, but not required.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Excellent writing and negotiation skills are essential.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Team player and contributor.
- Ability to foster good business relationships (internally and externally).
- Demonstrates good judgment and a good work ethic.
- Works independently and takes initiative.
- Management of staff and budget issues.
- Ability to manage priorities.
- Management of outside counsel.
Physical and Office Requirements:
· Office Environment.
· SG Digital has offices in Chicago, Illinois; and Las Vegas, Nevada; and we will consider full-time remote work.
· May require domestic or international travel.
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Scientific Games Corporation and its affiliates (collectively, "SG") are engaged in highly regulated gaming and lottery businesses. As a result, certain SG employees may, among other things, be required to obtain a gaming or other license(s), undergo background investigations or security checks, or meet certain standards dictated by law, regulation or contracts. In order to ensure SG complies with its regulatory and contractual commitments, as a condition to hiring and continuing to employ its employees, SG requires all of its employees to meet those requirements that are necessary to fulfill their individual roles. As a prerequisite to employment with SG (to the extent permitted by law), you shall be asked to consent to SG conducting a due diligence/background investigation on you.
This job description should not be interpreted as all-inclusive; it is intended to identify major responsibilities and requirements of the job. The employee in this position may be requested to perform other job-related tasks and responsibilities than those stated above.
SG is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against applicants due to race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class. If you’d like more information about your equal employment opportunity rights as an applicant under the law , please click here for EEOC Poster .