Principal Software Engineer (Android)
OpenBet leads the global gaming market, providing innovative software that powers the world’s most successful operators.
We pride ourselves on product innovation and technical excellence and are constantly adding new applications and new functionality to our product suite, used by billions of end users. And, while many other companies have been downsizing, we continue to see growth across our business.
Want to be part of our story?
The Android Principal Software Engineer (PSE) role will be a key one for the OpenEngage team. Reporting to the Development Manager, the PSE will be working alongside other mobile Software Engineers, Project Managers, QA and the Mobile Software Architect in order to shape and implement the technology and product deliverables that will drive forward OpenBet’s mobile applications strategic initiative.
The PSE will be expected to actively contribute to the overall technical strategy for new iOS mobile product development. The role will also be required to help build a development capability with new and existing development teams, ensuring that best of breed engineering practices are implemented, particularly around CI / CD and also monitoring and support requirements.
There will be a mixture of small, but strategically significant projects, and also large scale complex programmes of work, all delivered in an Agile format with direction from Product Management, but with delivery via a tightly contained team focused on quality deliverables.
A "can do" attitude and out-of-the-box thinking will be prerequisites!
- Development of new features and functionality for OpenBet Android native mobile applications, including the production of unit tests as and where required
- Active participant in reviews for products and services delivered across the wider OpenBet Product Development Organization
- Ensuring code quality is maintained for products and services delivered by the team the Principal Software Engineer is working with
- Ensuring that products and services adhere to agreed performance KPIs and are delivered in line with OpenBet CI / CD requirements
- Ensuring that all products and services have agreed levels of test coverage, in line with OpenBet requirements and adhering to agreed architectural and technology (including security) standards
- Review of detailed release documentation for handover to Delivery teams
- Maintenance of relevant technical sections of the internal Knowledge Base
- Mentorship of less experienced Software Engineers
- Ability to act as the design authority and provide high level estimates of Android software deliverables for planning purposes
- Oversee test-driven development to produce robust, clear, polished, code to a high standard of quality
- Be an integral part of the design and architecture of OpenBet’s mobile applications on white label solutions that are secure, modular, scalable, extendable and customizable for many different operators
- Monitor and adapt to changes in the Android Operating systems, native SDKs and build frameworks introduced by Google
- Work with the Mobile Architect to define the direction for the introduction of new technologies and trends to adhere to Google’s native mobile guidelines and best practices
- Provide structured feedback and recommendations to "back-end" platform developers, to ensure APIs are fit for purpose
- Proactively identify and address areas of material improvement, notably around native performance, security and code complexity
- Supporting the Development Manager, Tech Leads and Architect to ensure continuous quality improvement in the development teams
- Support recruitment of technical staff onto the OpenEngage teams
- Identify and support the training needs of Android dev teams and in extension the broader OpenBet teams on the Android ecosystem.
- Active understanding of solutions architecture and design, including KPI definition
- Where applicable, ensuring that mobile development team processes are aligned with technical processes prevalent in the wider company
- Ensure that all team members have a clear understanding of the overall system architecture and design components, in the context of meeting product requirements and also Google’s specific guidelines and requirements
- Knowledge of Agile development processes and scrum roles and responsibilities
- On occasion, lead an Agile workstream
- Where required, provide 3rd line support and supporting production launches
The role will be based at OpenBet's UK offices or in Athens, Greece. Frequent travel will be required, sometimes at short notice, both to OpenBet’s european and international development offices and also to OpenBet’s OpenEngage customer base. The PSE will frequently be required to make themselves available out of normal office hours for meetings with remote development teams and OpenBets’s non-European operators.
If you are the right Principle Software Engineer for us you will be able to demonstrate:
Technical skills of relevance:
- A Bachelor's degree (1st or 2:1) in a traditional science subject, ideally computer science, engineering or information systems from a well-regarded university
- At least 8+ years of experience developing commercial Android Mobile applications
- At least ten published Android apps in the Google App Store
- Ability to document technical solutions in a variety of formats and to constructively share knowledge with less experienced team members
- Ability to learn and critique new technologies quickly
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including presentations to peer groups
- Demonstrably being able to deal with change on a daily basis; must be comfortable both with external factors driving this change as well as internal
- Experience in contributing to and influencing technical strategic planning or responsibility for a technical strategy
- Experience of Agile development processes and scrum roles and responsibilities
- Demonstrable experience in designing complex mobile applications consuming and presenting high volumes of real time dynamic data
- Good managerial and leadership skills, able to motivate teams as well as driving change and handling difficult and complex project development activities both internally and externally
- Should be opinionated, especially about technology
- A minimum of 8 years’ hands-on experience in designing and developing mobile applications for Android using Kotlin and Java
- Demonstratable experience working with at least one other web wrapping native framework such as Ionic with HTML 5 and AngularJS, Cordova, React Native
- Demonstratable experience in developing data heavy, RESTful service driven applications using JSON data models
- Experience with mobile SSO integrations for authenticating users
- Demonstratable experience with the process of creating Google Play store accounts and Android app publication process
- Demonstrable experience with TDD and / or BDD
- General understanding of the use of Jenkins and Git (BitBucket)
- Demonstrably strong understanding of Google’s Human Interface Guidelines
- Some experience with the new Flutter framework
- Understanding of general UX principles for web applications, including responsive and adaptive design principles and how they can be embedded within a native container as webviews
- Knowledge of the iOS ecosystem and apps
- Use of a CI/CD framework for Android applications development
- Experience in the Sportsbetting and iGaming application
Domain knowledge is not required, but having worked on fully native high data complex iOS mobile applications development is.
Why would you enjoy working with us at OpenBet?
- Competitive benefits, an open and supportive environment as well as a modern and exciting workplace.
- The opportunity to interact with global teams on a regular basis and the possibility to switch teams and projects as you and our business continues to develop and grow.
- Tangible and genuine development - at OpenBet, you can take your career where you want it to go!
- Exposure to real work, business-critical projects, and the chance to develop some of the world’s leading e-commerce sportsbooks whilst working on exciting client projects and interact with lots of code!
And if that’s not enough; you will get to enjoy flexible working whilst we provide you with the guidance and development skills you need to progress quickly and enhance your career.