Mobile Native Architect
OpenBet leads the global sportsbook gaming market, providing innovative software that powers the world’s most successful operators.
We pride ourselves on product innovation and technical excellence and are constantly adding new applications and new functionality to our product suite, used by billions of end users. And, while many other companies have been downsizing, we continue to see growth across our business.
Want to be part of our story?
The Mobile Software Architect is a key team member of the OpenEngage team. OpenEngage team will be driving innovation both through the introduction of new modules and functionality and also by redevelopment of core modules and functionality on existing OpenBet native applications. The OpenEngage team will be more aggressively adopting newer technologies, architectural principles and approaches to deployment and monitoring, and the Mobile Software Architect will be expected to have extensive relevant technical and architectural expertise in the mobile section.
The Mobile Software Architect will work across all mobile teams, ensuring both that a well-defined, consistent and coherent architectural & technology (A&T) strategy is implemented across all OpenEngage deliverables, and also that new technologies and architectural principles are utilised appropriately and with rigor, whilst delivering the stability and performance that the OpenBet application have become synonymous with over time. The Mobile Software Architect will work closely with the OpenBet Architecture team to ensure that the OpenEngage A&T strategy is defined in-line with Group requirements and also to influence Group strategy based on the output of OpenEngage activities.
The Mobile Software Architect will be expected to actively contribute to the overall technical strategy for new mobile application product development. The role will also be required to help build a development capability with new and existing development teams, ensuring that architectural requirements are appropriately understood by the development teams and that the implications of the technical teams’ delivery strategies are considered during further product development activities.
The OpenEngage team structure is currently being re-defined after a large organization restructuring, so some aspects will evolve during the first 6 to 12 months, so a "can do" attitude and out-of-the-box thinking will be prerequisites!
- In conjunction with the OpenEngage Architecture Team, definition of the overall mobile A&T strategy for the OpenEngage deliverables
- Production and/or validation of the solution architecture for specific OpenEngage projects
- Act as a design authority for OpenEngage mobile products, components and services developed to drive them
- Ensuring adherence to Group and OpenEngage A&T standards across all OpenEngage deliverables
- Ensuring the provision of accurate architectural documentation for use by the customers, product teams and internal support
- Supporting customer teams through deployment of OpenEngage deliverables
- Act as an authority on industry best practices and general trends for the mobile A&T to be adopted by the OpenEngage teams
- Line management of a small team of architects and analysts will eventually be required.
- Supporting the quality of the implementation and deployment of mobile development work, including definition of achievable APM KPIs and SLAs
- Security, capacity and performance of delivered applications and services
- Supporting the OpenEngage leadership team in the planning, implementation and evolution of technical processes and feedback to the wider company
- Work with QA, Operational Excellence and Engineering management to drive through best practices, techniques and technology on the OpenEngage team, notably around CI/CD and test tooling
- Where required, provision of 3rd line support and supporting production deployments
- Supporting recruitment of technical staff onto the OpenEngage mobile teams
- Key stakeholder liaison and alignment with senior people in the OpenBet organisation, from Product teams to Operations and Architecture
- Supporting the training needs of the broader OpenEngage team
- Provision of technical input into Project Management, notably to support in the management of the Backlog, including Problems raised via Operations
- Motivating and driving the team with technical leadership and vision
- Work with Project Management to qualify development demand based on business cases and product definitions
- Ability to work as part of a senior management group leading the OpenEngage programme
The role will be based at OpenBet’s office in one of the UK offices or in Athens, Greece. Frequent travel may be required, sometimes at short notice, both to OpenBet’s development offices and also to OpenBet’s customer base. The Mobile Software Architect will frequently be required to make themselves available out of normal office hours for meetings with remote development teams and OpenBet’s non-European operators.
Knowledge & Experience
- Ideally 10+ years commercial experience engaged in software development, with a minimum of 5 years in a hands-on engineering role on the mobile sector, plus a minimum of 3 years’ in a leadership role in an Mobile Architecture team (or similar)
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience managing teams of highly technical staff
- Good managerial and leadership skills, able to motivate and lead personal development plans for employees as well as driving change and handling difficult and complex project development activities both internally and externally
- Proven accountability for delivering technical components of both major IT or commercial projects and ongoing "BAU" programmes
- Experience in contributing to and influencing company strategic planning or responsibility for departmental strategy
- Proven communication and presentation skills
- Dealing with change on a daily basis; must be comfortable both with external factors driving this change as well as internals
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Should be opinionated, especially about technology
Technical skills of relevance:
- A minimum of 5 years’ hands on experience in developing large-scale data heavy mobile applications
- A minimum of 3 years’ hands-on experience in designing native iOS and Android applications large-scale data heavy mobile applications
- Experience with Objective C/Swift and the iOS development framework
- Experience with Java/Kotlin and the Android development framework
- Extensive experience on designing Service Oriented Architectures using RESTful APIs to be consumed by native applications
- Extensive experience in designing middleware and adapters to connect to multiple foundation services
- Experience with integrating with SSO Authentication services based on industry standard protocols, like OpenID, OAUTH2 etc
- Experience in designing customer facing applications with reusable native components
- Experience of Java EE technologies and frameworks (Spring Boot, jboss etc.)
- Knowledge of Relational Databases, SQL and ORM technologies
- Knowledge of NoSQL Databases (Cassandra, Mongo etc.)
- Experience of developing and deploying distributed eCommerce (or similar) platforms in the cloud, using at least one major cloud provider (e.g. AWS or Google Cloud)
- Extensive experience is the use of CI/CD tools like Docker, Kubernetes, Ansible, Maven, Jenkins, SonarQube and Git (BitBucket)Some hands-on engineering experience in developing microservices using at least one popular framework (Netflix OSS, Spring Cloud, Play etc.)
- Some experience in Domain Driven Design, event-sourcing and CQRS
- Some experience with TDD and / or BDD
- Secondary expertise in a language like Python, C++, C#, PHP and also PostgreSQL or MySQL DBs would be beneficial.
- Experience in the Sportsbetting and iGaming applications
Domain knowledge is not required, but having worked on major eCommerce or any significant widely distributed system is.
Why would you enjoy working with us at OpenBet?
- Competitive benefits, an open and supportive environment as well as a modern and exciting workplace;
- The opportunity to interact with global teams on a regular basis and the possibility to switch teams and projects as you and our business continues to develop and grow;
- Tangible and genuine development - at OpenBet, you can take your career where you want it to go!
- Exposure to real work, business-critical projects, and the chance to develop some of the world’s leading e-commerce sportsbooks whilst working on exciting client projects and interact with lots of code!
And if that’s not enough; you will get to enjoy flexible working whilst we provide you with the guidance and development skills you need to progress quickly and enhance your career.