Informix Database Administrator
SG Digital (part of Scientific Games Corp. NASDAQ:SGMS) leads the global gaming market, providing innovative software that powers the world’s most successful operators and online gaming providers.
We pride ourselves on product innovation and technical excellence and are constantly adding new applications and new functionality to our product suite, used by billions of end users.
Want to be part of our story?
We are a group of distributed multidisciplinary engineers, passionate about casino gaming, focused on a few highly scalable distributed platforms on a hybrid technology stack running in public and private clouds.
The teams are small and move fast -- all members are expected to be able to achieve maximum results with minimal direction.
The Database Administrator is a member of a team of technology experts specialising in various tasks associated with Database (DB) administration and maintenance. The primary tasks are focussed on ensuring excellent uptime and performance of the DB and as such, a DB administrator has a good understanding of RDBMS operation in general, good knowledge of best practices, and a passion for ensuring the highest standards of uptime through proactive monitoring, pre-emptive tuning and general attention to detail. In this role, you will be primarily responsible for Informix databases, with secondary responsibilities for databases from other vendors, so a desire to learn multiple platforms is key. Automation of installation, monitoring and maintenance using Ansible and tools like puppet and chef is key with this role.
As a member of a geographically dispersed group of database experts, the DBA is required to work on a shared backlog of time-sensitive tasks and deliver high quality DB services to the Company. This is only possible through efficient teamwork, prompt escalation and excellent communication skills.
- Proactive monitoring of production DBs and resolution of system generated Proactive health checking and maintenance of the DBs including index generation, partitioning, backup updating statistics and performance analysis.
- DB integrity checks including indexes, data integrity, disk/storage integrity
- Reporting and analysis, including extracting data from multiple sources and identifying and resolving inconsistencies
- Database configuration, patching and upgrades according to SG Digital change and release management processes
- Design and implementation of automation using scripting languages such as Ansible
- Design and implementation of database monitoring tools
- Reporting on the stability and performance trends of database systems
- Improvement and maintenance of existing documentation, such as various HowTo documents, Operations Manuals and Alarms Journals.
- At least 3 years experience as a DBA
- Good understanding of the administration of Informix
- Proficiency in SQL
- System administration skills in Linux [preferable] and/or Windows
- Knowledge of at least one other major database product including, but not limited to, Postgres, Microsoft SQL Server, Cassandra, MySQL
- Good knowledge of shell scripting; additional coding skills, such as Ansible, would be advantageous
- Troubleshooting skills and an ability to determine the root cause of an issue quickly
- A willingness to learn and take on new challenges, and a desire for continuous personal and technical development
- An attention to detail
A performance focused culture right across the business. But that's just the foundation! We also believe in a work hard, play hard environment, where we embrace people who are tuned in to the sound of creativity and innovation. As a truly international company, we can offer you the diversity and the opportunities of the world. Mix this with a people-friendly culture and we got a pretty good offer to give.
So don't just come and work for us, spend your time with us!